Francis Ngannou hints at boxing move due to Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder purses


Ngannou has fuelled speculation he could switch to boxing from the UFC, after comparing his purse to those received by Fury and Wilder for their heavyweight trilogy

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Boxing: Fury calls out Ngannou, McIntyre and Joshua

Francis Ngannou has hinted at a switch to boxing as he clamours to earn the same as Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder.

The Cameroonian is set to take on Cyril Gane in a unification clash at UFC 270 in the early stages of next year.

And he has been consistently linked with a switch to the iron square, as his frustration at financial incentives in the UFC continues.

His latest outburst has compared his own earnings to the heavyweight boxing purses from the weekend.

“Well, it [MMA] is more difficult [than boxing]. I feel I should not be needing to borrow money for my training camp,” Ngannou told the MMA Hour. “At some point, I’m gonna go after the money. I’m going to to that boxing for sure. I’m not challenging the system, I’m just saying my right.

“I have not signed a new deal yet, because I do not want to sign a deal on these certain terms as I do not feel protected. In the past two years I have had to borrow money and nobody cares about it and I have no guarantee in that deal.

“So based on that experience I am trying to get better terms on my contract, and what I believe that I deserve.”



Francis Ngannou will defend his title against Cyril Gane next up
(

Image:

Zuffa LLC)




Ngannou has spoken in the past about his plotted route to heavyweight boxing in the future.

And it is no wonder with Fury having earned a guaranteed $6million, before splitting a share of $18m from the pay-per-view sales of the trilogy bout.

He has held the world-title belt from March since his rematch victory over Stipe Miocic at UFC 260.

And with just one fight left on his current UFC deal, he could potentially look to leave the company as his frustration continues.

With challenges already coming in the past from the likes of British pair Dillian Whyte and Anthony Joshua, it could be sooner than expected.

But his own admission also clearly signals that his frustration lies in not being able to be “free”, to negotiate deals for heavyweight boxing events.









Will we see Francis Ngannou in a boxing ring soon? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

“According to what they said, I am on an independent contract so I want a terminated date so after that I can be free,” Ngannou continued.

“Then after that I would like to be free, so then you have a right from there to decide where you going and what you are going to do.

“I will also then not be forced to keep signing the contract (with a termination date), so that is not being an independent contract.

“If you say I am challenging the system, I already am having a hard time getting out at the moment but I can assure you that I am not.”

Ngannou has also previously called out Fury with response, so could even launch a bid at the boxing heavyweight world titles in the future.

And his punch power has already resonated in MMA so far, knocking out the likes of Alistair Overeem and Curtis Blaydes on his way to becoming world champion.

But his allusive meeting with Jon Jones has taken a further dent in recent weeks, with the American arrested on charges of battery and domestic violence.

But for now he must take on interim champion Gane, with the event scheduled to be a bumper pay-per-view on January 22.


Read More





Read More








Source link